As January comes to a close, we reflect back on an incredible 2018 for both Mirakl, our customers, and our partners. This past year Mirakl experienced 80% year-over-year revenue growth, launched a record 37 marketplaces, and welcomed 60 new customers!
I’m also proud to say Mirakl’s customer performance was outstanding. Our customers reached over $1B GMV which represented over 100% GMV growth year-over-year. They also saw 2.5x the orders on Black Friday and processed 500,000 orders in a single day resulting in $60M GMV, supported by 100% uptime of Mirakl’s Marketplace Platform.
Today, 87% of business buyers across industries are making business purchases through marketplaces, and in 2018 Mirakl supported a record number of these businesses including Toyota Material Handling. “...we see the future potential for the online marketplace to serve as a vehicle to better support our dealers by helping them sell more of their inventory – even non-Toyota products,” said Steve Tadd, Director of Marketing & IT for Toyota Material Handling.
Other major achievements from 2018 include:
- SAP became an official reseller of the Mirakl Marketplace Platform, adding Mirakl to its software and service portfolio.
- We welcomed 60 great new customers including Siemens, Toyota Material Handling, Office Depot, Fnac, and Leroy Merlin Brazil.
- We launched many innovative new use cases for Mirakl’s marketplace technology, including Siemens’ successful launch of their B2B online marketplace, Coperama’s leading procurement marketplace, and Carrefour Taiwan’s product expansion marketplace.
- We announced the availability of Mirakl Catalog Manager (MCM) which has given customers complete control over seller data quality makes it even easier to manage product data quality at marketplace scale.
- Our 2018 Marketplace & Platform Summit welcomed over 400 marketplace leaders from across the world. In my keynote I shared the vision my cofounder Philipp Corrot and I have long held for the Platform Revolution, and many great customers spoke including Kroger, Alibaba, Galeries Lafayette, 1-800-Flowers.com Inc., Conrad Electronic, and Roland Berger France.
Behind Mirakl’s customers’ success is the Mirakl Labs and Client Success teams.
Mirakl Labs, Mirakl’s R&D Division, released significant enhancements to Mirakl’s Marketplace Platform, including:
- More flexible payment options to meet operators, sellers and customers’ desire for flexibility in when and how they pay.
- Enhancements to The Mirakl Marketplace Platform for Services - such as more ways to manage service details and improve communications between service providers and customers.
- Many new B2B features such as more granular pricing control, increased minimum and maximum quantities for bulk selling, and continued improvement for tax and payment handling.
- Whether it was U.S. tax regulation or GDPR compliance, Mirakl prioritized all necessary projects to ensure clients’ ability to respond to any changes in tax and law.
Mirakl’s Client Success team launched Mirakl University, a program designed to train and certify clients’ teams and partners on marketplace management, and proudly completed 40 certifications in 2018.
In Gartner’s Predicts 2019: New Deployment Models, Channels and Technologies Spark Digital Commerce Growth (Dec 2018), the report estimates that “By 2023, 15% of medium- to high-GMV digital commerce organizations will have deployed their own marketplaces, thereby creating a digital ecosystem on their path to digital business.” In order to support this rapid adoption of marketplaces, Mirakl grew their headcount 170%, from 70 to 189 full time employees, in the past two years.
"Mirakl’s tremendous success last year, combined with our customers’ success, is further proof that we are living through a platform revolution.” said Philippe Corrot, Mirakl CEO. “What our customers are proving is that by launching a marketplace, leading companies can compete with platform giants such as Amazon and Alibaba. We are excited to continue our rapid growth and help more companies navigate the platform revolution this year.”
We are looking forward to a strong 2019 filled with exciting new marketplace launches, continued customer success, and growing relationships with our trusted partners.
Be sure to follow along with Mirakl and stay up to date with marketplace best practices by subscribing to our blog.
Written by Adrien Nussenbaum
Adrien is co-founder and U.S. CEO of Mirakl, the global leader in online marketplace solutions. Since graduating from HEC Paris in 2001, Adrien's career has been focused on innovation, entrepreneurship and disruption. His background in corporate finance and management consulting has allowed him to support top Fortune 1000 companies in their strategic growth and transformation initiatives, including creating and leading FNAC's marketplace from 2008 to 2011. A serial digital entrepreneur, Adrien has always been driven by the desire to invent tomorrow's economy: All Instant, a NY based Instant Messaging platform sold in 2003 and SplitGames an online video games marketplace sold to FNAC in 2008. Along with co-founder Philippe Corrot, Adrien has built and led winning teams across the globe, created hundred of jobs, and generated billions in sales for customers. Outside of the office, Adrien enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters exploring their new home town of Cambridge, MA. But don't think you'll catch him trading Bouillabaisse for New England clam chowder any time soon.