2020 is a year of records for Mirakl-powered Marketplace operators and their sellers, as our new Black Friday results below go one step further to confirm.
Adding to data published last week for the U.S., Canada, Latin America and Australia, we now know that:
- Mirakl-powered Marketplaces across all regions generated a total of $160M GMV during the Black Friday 2020 sale period, a 60% increase on last year.
- We have processed 1.6 million orders through Mirakl-powered Marketplaces during the 2020 Black Friday sale period, also a 60% increase on last year.
- In France (where Black Friday was delayed by a week) we saw a 70% increase in sales on our B2C marketplaces compared to last year.
Providing our customers with a robust, flexible model
We are proud to provide a technically robust solution for our customers; the Mirakl Marketplace Platform maintained 100% uptime during Black Friday when orders surpassed the 1.6 million number.
Rado Svec, Vice President Platform at Conrad Electronics, a Platform Pioneer, commented, “The fast performance and zero latency of the Mirakl marketplace solution have been extremely important for us to efficiently respond to increased purchases made via our marketplace during the high-demand period of Black Friday.”
When the French government announced the biggest online sales event of the year was to be delayed by a week, the marketplace model provided the agility to allow French retailers to adapt their Black Friday sales plans with speed. After such a tough year, this flexibility has gone towards helping sellers of products classified as non-essential to be able to make the most of Black Friday, as was the case for small companies selling via the Carrefour Marketplace.
2020, a year of unprecedented growth for Mirakl and our customers
Mirakl has been at the forefront of a year of unparalleled growth for eCommerce as consumers seek safe and convenient ways to shop during the pandemic.
It has been a particularly groundbreaking time for the marketplace model. Amazon set marketplace records during Prime Day 2020 with third-party sellers surpassing $3.5 billion in sales, a nearly 60% YOY increase. And Alibaba generated 20x that amount through third-party sales on its Singles’ Day.
This year’s Black Friday figures are unique; online retail sales were already on the increase since the start of November (and indeed earlier in the year) as a result of the momentum created by the pandemic and lockdowns in many countries.
For example, in France, the online retail federation FEVAD has stated that e-commerce grew 40-50% at the start of the second confinement. Amazon France said that their sales growth during this period was the same. In comparison, we saw a nearly 75% increase in GMV for the first 3 weeks of November across Mirakl-powered B2C Marketplaces in France, compared to the weeks before. Thanks to their marketplace strategies, our customers were able to go above and beyond in a context where online spending for Black Friday 2020 increased by 22% in the US and 30% in the UK.
These figures give us a strong indication of the strength of the Mirakl marketplace solution and the positive outlook we can have for the start of 2021.
Key milestones for Mirakl and our customers this year include:
- Mirakl is on track to sign 60+ new clients in 2020 and 54 customers will have launched Mirakl-powered Marketplaces by the end of this year. We have defied COVID economic slowdown – our marketplaces generated $1.2B GMV in just the first six months of 2020.
- In response to the lockdown, customers including Carrefour and Intermarché opened up their Mirakl-powered Marketplaces to small and local businesses so that they could continue selling.
- In September, we announced a record $300 million funding round, bringing total capital raised to $400 million and placing Mirakl’s valuation over $1.5 billion, passing the threshold to become a unicorn.
- In June of this year, we were proud to be awarded the World Economic Forum’s Technology Pioneer Award, given to technologies and innovations poised to have a significant impact on business and society. Past winners include Airbnb, Google, Twitter and Spotify.
- In March, in partnership with the French government, we launched the StopCOVID19.fr. marketplace for the provision of PPE and other materials used in the fight against Covid-19. Since then, 225 million face masks, 1 million litres of hand sanitiser and 27 million items of PPE have been distributed to over 29,000 customers. We have also onboarded 307 sellers and there are 200 active shops on the platform.
Thank you to our pioneering customers, and to our team around the world making marketplace a successful reality for so many companies that are progressing full steam ahead in their digital transformations.
We look forward to hearing from those of you that want to join us as we continue the Platform Revolution in 2021.
Written by Philippe Corrot
Philippe Corrot is the co-founder and CEO of Mirakl. He started his career as the CEO of KEYRUS, a pioneering web agency that provides data intelligence and digital experience consulting, before founding MAYREV, a fashion and accessories brand. In 2005, he joined forces with Adrien Nussenbaum to create Splitgames, a marketplace dedicated to video games. When Splitgames was acquired by Fnac.com in 2008, they supervised the integration and design of Fnac’s Marketplace and took charge of both the development and management of the Marketplace from 2008 to 2012. In 2012, they left FNAC to found Mirakl.